In 1909 a fraternal organization built the current six-story building to serve as a hotel and fraternal lodge. The seven-story west wing was added in 1927. The building was carefully renovated to preserve its original grandeur in 1982, earning it a place on the National Register of Historic Structures.
In 2007, Crockett Hotel was completely renovated. A section of less attractive modern hotel rooms was demolished to enhance the pool area, and the hotel's remarkable 7th floor suites were brought back to their former glory.
Brewmeister opens hotel and future landmark January 31 1859
On this date in 1859, William Menger opened his hotel, now a landmark, on Alamo Plaza in San Antonio. In partnership with Charles Philip Degen, he also operated a brewery on the site. The hotel is one of the best-known lodging houses in Texas. Its guests have included O. Henry (William Sydney Porter), Sidney Lanier, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, Captain Richard King, of King Ranch fame (he died there), Sarah Bernhardt, Gutzon Borglum, Theodore Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, and Mae West. The building has been remodeled many times and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Menger continues to serve as a center for meetings and other social affairs.
Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011 22:44:09 GMT -5 by neferetus